Friday, October 30, 2009

Tom Hanks | Biography, Photos, Movies, TV, Credits ...

Tom Hanks | Biography, Photos, Movies, TV, Credits ...















Personal Quotes
It's just as hard . . . staying happily married as it is doing movies.
I've made over 20 movies, and 5 of them are good.
[on the CGI used in The Polar Express (2004)] It's the same stuff they used in that fourth "Lord of the Rings" movie. Or was it the 19th "Lord of the Rings" movie? You know, the one where Boldo and Jingy travel across the bridge? I don't know, I don't know their names. When I watch "Lord of the Rings", I just think, "Someone got their finger stuck on the word processor for too long".
[interview in "Women's World", 10/11/05] If you're funny, if there's something that makes you laugh, then every day's going to be okay.
I do not want to admit to the world that I can be a bad person. It is just that I don't want anyone to have false expectations. Moviemaking is a harsh, volatile business, and unless you can be ruthless, too, there's a good chance that you are going to disappear off the scene pretty quickly. So appearances can be deceptive, particularly in Hollywood.
My wife keeps on telling me my worst fault is that I keep things to myself and appear relaxed. But I am really in a room in my own head and not hearing a thing anyone is saying.
Some people go to bed at night thinking, "That was a good day." I am one of those who worries and asks, "How did I screw up today?"
I love what I do for a living, it's the greatest job in the world, but you have to survive an awful lot of attention that you don't truly deserve and you have to live up to your professional responsibilities and I'm always trying to balance that with what is really important.
I must say that I do wrestle with the amount of money I make, but at the end of the day what am I gonna say? I took less money so Rupert Murdoch could have more?
My favorite traditional Christmas movie that I like to watch is All Quiet on the Western Front (1930). It's just not December without that movie in my house.
The year I was born, 1956, was the peak year for babies being born, and there are more people essentially our age than anybody else. We could crush these new generations if we decided to.
Regarding the WGA Strike and how it could affect the Academy Awards: The show must go on, that is one of the tenets of everything. I am a member of the board of governors of the Academy, and we definitely want to put on a great show and honor the films that have come out in the course of the year. I just hope that the big guys who make big decisions, up high in their corporate boardrooms and what not, get down to honest bargaining and everyone can get back to work.
As you know, the election between [Thomas] Jefferson and John Adams was filled with innuendo, lies, a bitter, partisan press and disinformation. How great we've come so far since then.
In this business, careers are based upon longevity.
If I was to direct Ron Howard, I guarantee you, I would put him through a living hell every day. I would demand so much of him. We wouldn't quit until he leaves the set crying. Weeping! Spent!
My work is more fun than fun but, best of all, it's still very scary. You are always walking some kind of high wire. I guess it's like being a sportsman. When people ask great football stars or cricketers what they will miss most when the time comes to stop, they'll tell you that it's that moment when the ball comes to them. In that moment, there's that wonderful anxiety, that feeling of "Please don't let me screw this up". If I didn't have the chance to do what I do, it's that I would miss more than anything. That terror is what makes me feel alive. It's a wonderful feeling, unlike anything else in the world.
[on Charlie Wilson] Wilson may have lived his life in a certain way, but to give him his due, he severed the Achilles' heel of the Soviet Union. It was just nine months after they pulled out of Afghanistan that the Berlin wall came down. And one of the reasons it fell was that the Soviet government knew that the cream of its armed forces had been decimated by a bunch of people in a place called Afghanistan. That meant they couldn't defend their borders in East Germany and Poland. That has Charlie Wilson all over it.
On The Bonfire of the Vanities (1990): When we were making it, that movie was huge. We couldn't make a move anywhere in New York City. Everybody was talking about it. Everybody was miscast, me particularly. Brian De Palma deals with iconography more than filmmaking. He is the most uncompromising filmmaker - both in a good way and a bad way - that you'll ever come across. This is the guy who made Scarface (1983). So his take on it one just one of those things. You can't take a book like that, that has changed the way people talk and think and change it into a palatable movie, or alter the thrust of what the source material is talking about. It may not translate in a way that is going to work.
Salary
The Da Vinci Code (2006)
$18,000,000 + profit participation
Cast Away (2000)
$20,000,000
The Green Mile (1999)
$20,000,000
Toy Story 2 (1999)
$5,000,000
You've Got Mail (1998)
$20,000,000
Saving Private Ryan (1998)
$40,000,000+ (gross and profit participations)
Toy Story (1995)
$50,000
Forrest Gump (1994)
$70,000,000 (gross and profit participations)
The Bonfire of the Vanities (1990)
$5,000,000
The 'burbs (1989)
$3,500,000
Punchline (1988)
$5,000,000
Big (1988)
$2,000,000
Splash (1984)
$70,000
He Knows You're Alone (1980)
$800






Tom Hanks Filmography
Filmography of Tom Hanks ... Actors: Tom Hanks, Tim Allen, Joan Cusack, Don Rickles, Wallace Shawn ... Actors: Tom Hanks, Julia Roberts, Philip Seymour Hoffman, ...www.fandango.com/tomhanks/filmography/p93341 -
Tom Hanks - Overview - MSN Movies
Tom Hanks overview: biography, filmography, interviews & clips, photos, news, awards worked with, ... American leading actor "Tom Hanks" has become one of ...movies.msn.com/celebrities/celebrity/tom-hanks -
Tom Hanks
Actor Tom Hanks began his career on the early 1980s sitcom Bosom Buddies. ... MTV News: How Does Tom Hanks' Robert Langdon Fare Against Other Crime-Fighters? ...www.mahalo.com/tom-hanks -
Tom Hanks: Biography from Answers.com
Tom Hanks , Actor Born: 9 July 1956 Birthplace: Concord, California Best Known As: The Oscar-winning star of Forrest Gump Tom Hanks won back-to-backwww.answers.com/topic/tom-hanks -
Tom Hanks News - Topix
News about Tom Hanks continually updated from thousands of sources around the net. ... Tom Hanks returns to Cleveland to say big 'Thanks' to Great Lakes Theater ...www.topix.net/who/tom-hanks -
Tom Hanks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Tom Hanks at Governor's Ball party after the 1989 Academy Awards, March 29th, 1989. ... come out of nowhere", Hanks' best friend Tom Lizzio told Rolling Stone. ...india.smashits.com/wikipedia/Tom_Hanks -
Tom Hanks
Radio Go Daddy - Hear the latest Internet industry and. entertainment news! Tune in every Wednesday 2pm PT. or podcast anytime. ...www.tomhanksland.com -
Tom Hanks - Zimbio
A community portal about Tom Hanks with blogs, videos, and photos. ... Tom Hanks returns to his Da Vinci Code 's Robert Langdon character - to try to ...www.zimbio.com/Tom+Hanks -
Tom Hanks Filmography - Yahoo! Movies
Tom Hanks : find the latest news, photos, filmography and awards at Yahoo! Movies ... Special Thanks ( with apologies to Tom Hanks ) Back to Top ...movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hc&id=1800010392&cf=movies&intl=us -
AFI Life Achievement Award: Tom Hanks
The actor was the 30th recipient of the award in 2002.www.afi.com/tvevents/laa/laa02.aspx